poetry. thoughts and more than make-believe.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

PUMPKIN SHORTAGE

"You can't find a can of pumpkin in the country,"  the manager grocery-man explained to the older woman.

She was at the check-out across from mine and that sentence caught my attention.  My cashier girl was busy scanning and bagging, and when I laughed at the idea of no canned pumpkin she just smiled at me.

Manager-man went on telling her she wouldn't find a can in the area and wasn't sure when they were going to get any in...and I stood there thinking it had to be a joke.

No canned pumpkin?
Insane in the membrane.
And also--who wants to make pumpkin pie when it's 95 degrees right now?  Well--older people do.  And maybe those who love pumpkin pie for breakfast, yummmmm....

But then I thought, really who says those kind of things unless there's a bit of truth behind them.  So I went to play librarian and googled pumpkin shortage...and
low and behold--there's some truth behind it.




Craziness!
What about Halloween?
What about Thanksgiving?

And then I started considering our farming.  Our American farming.  According to The Washington Post, in central Illinois their farming pumpkinlands make for 95% of the US's canned pumpkins--and then when you read on further you see that Libby's which is affiliated with Nestle is responsible for 87% of pumpkin sales from Sept. to Dec. 
Ok.....
that's alot of math and I generally suck at statistics, but I definitely see that the average farmer isn't in the loop on pumpkin sales.  I find that hard to comprehend, having pumpkin farms in my hometown area--but after watching the movie
Food, Inc. I believe it.  And if you haven't seen it--I recommend it.

So really to save Halloween and Thanksgiving I say we all start growing and canning our own pumpkin -- sharing it with each other:)..especially the old people.



8 comments:

Jewels said...

poor poor pumpkins! What would fall be without them? We must all do our part. Haha. Personally, my family and I always plant pumpkins in our garden. The regular and the jack-be-littles (those teeny tiny cuties). I can't stand pumpkin pie but I love having them around the house at fall. :-)

Life goes on... said...

I started reading your blog and I just love it! It's so down to earth!

ClaireMontgomeryMD said...

you said 'insane in the membrane' which made me giggle like a school girl. other than that, i'm still not sure i comprehend this but i'm putting my cans of pumpkin on ebay tomorrow.

Alicia said...

I actually recall there being a shortage last year too. Where have all the pumpkins gone? (sing it like Paula Cole... it'll make you laugh).

Interesting little bit of trivia... a box of chocolate cake mix and a 15 oz can of pumpkin makes a delicious, moist low-cal, low-fat cake. Seriously. So good. The batter is thick as hell, and the cake is dense, but it's delish.

Not Emily said...

Jewels--ahh...lucky you having pumpkins. I always try, but somehow they never make it to the full pumpkin stage!

Life goes on...thanks!

Claire--and now i'm laughing too..can we start the bidding at
.99?

Alicia...you know I mentioned the pumpkin shortage to someone at work today and they acted like i had been living in a hole! I guess it's time to venture out..and now I can't stop singing!! :))))))) Thanks!

A Pen In Neverland: Angela Peña Dahle said...

This is why I am stocking up early on canned pumpkin, so I can make plenty of pumpkin empanadas, without delay or shortage getting in the way.

hiphophippie.com said...

Pumpkins = Autumn. Plain and simple!! I love that jackolantern--amazing!

♥Sarah♥ said...

Ha Ha ha wow that's interesting! lol
Thanks for sharing! Feel free to check out my blog!

"Happiness is only real when shared".....from Into the Wild
There was an error in this gadget

Blog Archive